Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Letter to Brynn

Dear Brynn,

I love you, a lot, but I have to admit it is getting harder and harder to love you at 2:00 AM,  especially when you are laying in bed next to me and kicking me in the back or stomach or crawling all over me.  It is awfully cute during the day when you point to our eyes, ears, nose, mouth etc and say “eyes”, “ears”, “nose” in your cute little voice, but again it’s just not that cute at 2:00 AM especially when I’m not fully awake and you poke me IN the eye.  I also do not really appreciate you shoving your slobbery pacifier into my mouth.  You see Brynn you should be sleeping at 2:00 AM and I should be sleeping at 2:00 AM.  Remember I don’t get to nap during the day!  I was really proud of myself and held my ground that you were NOT going to watch Elmo at 2:00 AM.  even though you kept crawling out of bed and going to the basement stairs and crying for “Emmo” “Moovie”   I knew that if I caved this once then every time you woke up in the middle of the night (which has been pretty much every night for the last 3 months) then you would expect to be able to watch Elmo.  I got you water, I got you your blanket, I cuddled you, I sang to you, I ignored you, I prayed that you would fall asleep, and yes I even thought about putting you out on the porch, (but I like the neighbors too much to do that).  But at 3:23 AM I caved. I carried you down to the basement and put your favorite Elmo movie on the TV.  You were so cute and quiet and cuddled next to me and watched the WHOLE 45 minute show wide eyed.  I dozed next to you.  When the show was over I carried you up to bed at 4:15 in the morning, laid you in your crib and you fell right to sleep.  Lesson learned – you are the boss.  Next time I will put on Elmo right away, in fact I am about to invest in a DVD and TV for your room although I always swore none of my kids would ever have a TV in their room.  You know I would pretty much do anything right now for a full night of sleep.  Brynn please sleep through the night again and we will consider buying you a pony, car, TV, trip to Disneyland. . .

Love,

Mama

No comments: