Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last Day of Freedom

Tanner begins kindergarten tomorrow, another milestone! Don and I were talking to Tanner about how school is like his job and then we started thinking that Tanner will be in school for the next 13 years and then hopefully college and then he will graduate and really get a real job and so that kind of makes today his last day of no responsibilities and complete freedom. Wow! How depressing! So we tried to make sure that Tanner had a really great day! We had a Tanner day. This is what we did. After church Tanner wanted to go swimming so off we went. Brynn went swimming for the first time in the indoor pool and had a great time. She was just kicking the water and never cried, even when she got splashed, but this is not about Brynn. So back to Tanner, well he is shaping up to be future Olympic swimmer! He is so close to really swimming all on his own. He will swim a few feet on his front and back but then kind of freaks out and starts drowning. The funny thing is that when Tanner has his ever faithful snorkel on he will swim and float around just fine, but take it off and he suddenly thinks he can't float anymore. Figure that out! After swimming Tanner fell asleep in the car on the ride home and got a pretty good nap in! Score for mom and dad, but I'm sure napping was NOT a part of Tanner's plans. Tanner then got some good bike riding and playing outside in with the neighborhood kids. The last big hurrah for all! I actually cooked lasagna for dinner and made Tanner come inside before anyone else. I know all the neighborhood kids think I am the meanest mom ever but I'm thinking - school night! We had a great dinner, even though Don did not like that I added yellow squash (from our garden!) to the lasagna. Hello, just trying to help get your daily amount of veggies in! Brynn even joined us at the table by sitting in the highchair for the first time, too cute! After dinner, Tanner got the school talk. Yes the be nice, listen to the teacher, do what's right even if no one else is doing it talk and then somehow this talk led us to raising hands in school and being the teacher I am I taught Tanner how to raise his hand correctly, yes there is a right and wrong way to raise your hand, and that led us to the teacher game. We each took a turn being the teacher and asking a question and then we would pick someone else that was raising their hand correctly to answer, Brynn even played. She just needed some help raising her hand at the right time, oh yeah and answering the questions. It was really pretty darn funny (let's just say that some of the questions got pretty silly) and I'm sure we will be playing teacher again soon. Great I get to be a teacher all day and then play teacher at home! After bath (must be squeaky clean you know) and for his before bed activity Tanner chose to play some Wii with daddy and I put Brynn to bed. A while back I had bought Tanner a First Day of Kindergarten book to read to him for his bedtime story. I was so proud of myself for not only remembering to read this book tonight, but also remembering where I had stashed it! We instigated a new bedtime school routine and it went rather smoothly, too smoothly, I'm not going to get too excited yet. Well that is the play by play of our day. Hopefully Tanner enjoyed it and hopefully he will LOVE school or else we are in for 13 looooooong years.

No comments: